Chances are, you’ve heard about dental crowns. Millions of Americans have them. Dental crowns are custom-made caps that encase the entire surface of a damaged, chipped, cracked or discolored tooth. Dental crowns are a popular solution for various tooth problems and are optimal for:
- Covering tooth wear and tear
- Restoring cosmetic damage like chips, cracks or discoloration
- Protecting fillings for large cavities
- Capping root canals after removing pulp decay
- Covering dental implants after insertion
- Holding dental bridges in place
Dental crowns are a fantastic and long-lasting way to restore damaged teeth. The traditional process for getting a dental crown involves multiple visits to the dentist over several weeks. However, CEREC technology makes a dental crown possible in just one appointment!
CEREC stands for Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. The CEREC system streamlines the creation of ceramic dental crowns – and other dental restoratives – in a single dental appointment. So why should you consider CEREC same-day crowns? Here’s everything you need to know about CEREC.
Everything You Need to Know About CEREC
CEREC is a technology that designs and creates your crown in a same-day appointment. CEREC combines the modern power of computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM). This CAD/CAM system relies on advances in imagining and creation to make the perfect dental crown for your unique smile and needs. Crowns from the CEREC system are made of a durable, long-lasting tooth-colored porcelain that blends in subtly with your other teeth. So, what is the process for a same-day dental crown from CEREC?
A Simple 4-Step Process for a Beautiful Smile
- Impressions: First, your dentist will take an impression of the area. Instead of using traditional impression materials like dental putty, CEREC uses a digital scanner to capture a 3D image of the tooth or teeth that need restoration. This image is more precise and detailed than traditional methods, resulting in a better fit and shape.
- Designs: Next, the digital impression creates a detailed, virtual restoration model. Your dentist uses computer technology to design the shape and size of the crown, ensuring a precise fit.
- Manufacturing: Once the design is complete, CAM technology guides a machine that carves the cap from a ceramic block. This process takes place right in the dental office.
- Placement: Finally, after carving the crown, the dentist places it during the same appointment, making necessary adjustments to ensure a proper fit and bite.
That’s it! In addition to crowns, CEREC technology can be used for creating veneers, overlays and other restoratives.
You shouldn’t have to wait for a dental crown. Crowns can help restore the function and appearance of your smile, making your daily life easier. They also help build your confidence! If you’re interested in a same-day smile solution, contact the expert dentistry team at Treasured Smiles Adult and Cosmetic Dentistry.