A dental bridge is a dental device that fills a space that a tooth previously occupied. A dental bridge may be necessary to prevent:
- Shifting of the teeth that can lead to bite problems (occlusion) and/or jaw problems and resultant periodontal disease.
- Bridges safeguard the integrity of existing teeth and help maintain a healthy, vibrant smile.
There are three main types of dental bridges, namely:
- A fixed bridge is the most popular and consists of a filler tooth that is attached to two crowns, which fit over the existing teeth and hold the bridge in place.
- The “Maryland” bridge is commonly used to replace missing front teeth and consists of a filler that is attached to metal bands that are bonded to the abutment teeth. The metal bands consist of a white-colored composite resin that matches existing tooth color.
- The cantilever bridge is often used when there are teeth on only one side of the span. A typical three-unit cantilever bridge consists of two crowned teeth positioned next to each other on the same side of the missing tooth space. The filler tooth is then connected to the two crowned teeth, which extend into the missing tooth space or end.
Request An Appointment
Give the skilled team at Treasured Smiles Adult and Cosmetic Dentistry a call at (815)426-0016 and make an appointment for you or your family member. We have been helping our Frankfort, Mokena, and New Lenox, IL, neighbors maintain or regain excellent oral health for many years now. We look forward to helping you get the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.