A dental crown is a permanent covering that fits over an original tooth that is decayed, damaged, or cracked. Dental crowns are made of a variety of different materials such as porcelain, gold, acrylic resin, or a mix of these materials. Porcelain generally has the most natural appearance, although it is often less durable.
The treatment plan for a patient receiving a dental crown involves:
- Numbing the tooth to remove the decay in or around it.
- Re-sculpturing the tooth to provide an ideal fit for the dental crown.
- Making an impression of your teeth to create a custom-made dental crown (usually takes one to two weeks).
- Making a temporary dental crown out of acrylic resin and fitting it onto the tooth during the interim period when the permanent custom-made dental crown is being created.
- Applying the permanent dental crown (when received from the lab) by removing the temporary dental crown and fitting the permanent one onto the tooth.
- After ensuring that the dental crown has the proper look and fit, the dentist cements it into place.
This process generally consists of a minimum of two to three visits over a three-to-four-week period. Once the procedure is completed, proper dental hygiene, including daily brushing and flossing, is required to maintain healthy, bacteria-free teeth, gums, and dental crowns. This helps in the prevention of gum disease. Given proper care, your dental crowns can last a lifetime.
Request An Appointment
Give the skilled team at Treasured Smiles Adult and Cosmetic Dentistry a call at (815)426-0016 and make an appointment for you or your family member. We have been helping our Frankfort, Mokena, and New Lenox, IL, neighbors maintain or regain excellent oral health for many years now. We look forward to helping you get the beautiful, healthy smile you deserve.