As we age, maintaining oral health is crucial. Routine dental cleanings are pivotal in achieving this goal. Treasured Smiles Adult and Cosmetic Dentistry’s team understands seniors’ unique oral health challenges, including increased gum disease, tooth decay and dry mouth. Regular dental cleanings help prevent and proactively address complications that arise with age. Learn more about common oral health challenges older adults face and the benefits of dental cleanings for seniors.
8 Oral Problems Older Adults Need to Watch For
From the surface of the teeth to deep in the jawbones, many oral changes occur as we age. Unfortunately, these changes often put older adults at increased risk for dental problems. Common dental problems for older adults include the following.
- Tooth decay: Older adults have a higher risk of tooth decay because of a lifetime of exposure to acidic foods and drinks, receding gums, and the use of medications that can cause dry mouth.
- Gum disease: Poor oral hygiene, smoking, and certain medical conditions can exacerbate gum disease, a painful inflammation of the gums.
- Tooth loss: Tooth loss increases with age due to decay, gum disease, and other oral health issues. Missing teeth can impact a person’s ability to chew, speak, and feel confident.
- Dry mouth: Many medications prescribed to older adults can cause dry mouth. Reduced saliva flow increases the risk of cavities and other oral health problems.
- Oral cancer: The risk of oral cancer increases with age. Regular dental check-ups are essential for early detection and treatment.
- Denture-related issues: Problems like ill-fitting dentures, sore spots, and difficulty chewing may arise. Regular check-ups with a dentist can help address these issues.
- Root decay: As gums recede with age, the roots of the teeth become more exposed, making the teeth more susceptible to decay at the root.
- Sensitivity: Older adults may experience increased tooth sensitivity, which can be caused by gum recession or worn enamel.
5 Reasons Seniors Need to Get Dental Cleanings
A simple, convenient dental cleaning from the Treasured Smiles Adult and Cosmetic Dentistry experts can tackle many of these oral health problems. During a routine dental cleaning, our experienced dental hygienists carefully remove plaque and tartar using specialized instruments. This thorough cleaning addresses hard-to-reach areas that may be challenging to clean with brushing and flossing. After cleaning, your teeth will be polished to remove surface stains, leaving you with a fresh and bright smile. But there are even more functions of dental cleanings.
- Preventing gum disease: Regular dental cleanings are crucial in removing plaque and tartar buildup, preventing the onset and progression of gum disease, and maintaining healthy gums.
- Preventing and treating cavities: Dental cleanings help remove plaque, the sticky film of bacteria on teeth, reducing the risk of cavities. Professional cleanings also allow the dentist to identify and address early signs of tooth decay before they progress. Early detection and treatment of cavities can include using composite bonding to repair holes in the teeth.
- Detecting oral cancer early: At a routine dental cleaning, dentists can identify unusual changes in the oral tissues during cleanings, allowing for prompt diagnosis and treatment if necessary.
- Maintaining overall health: Oral health is intricately linked to overall health. Regular dental cleanings for senior adults address oral health concerns and contribute to their overall well-being, reducing the risk of systemic health issues associated with poor oral health.
- Preserving natural teeth: Dental cleanings are crucial in preserving natural teeth, preventing tooth loss, and maintaining proper oral function. By addressing issues like gum disease early on, seniors can enjoy the benefits of healthy, functional teeth.
Take the first step towards a healthier smile by scheduling your routine dental cleaning at Treasured Smiles Adult and Cosmetic Dentistry today. Your well-being starts with a confident and vibrant smile!